It's too bad LinkedIn doesn’t have spell check. I've seen it all - "Chef Executive Officer ", "Prsident", "Busness Analyst", Humnan Resources `you know the drill.
It doesn’t stop me from working with someone, heck I'm human, and I make typos. Sometimes I send a friendly inmail, “hey you need an i in Chief". That said, it looks bad and shows poor attention to detail and a weak command of the written word.
People can really goof up on LinkedIn. Here are 8 ways to lose credibility, especially if you're looking for work.
1) Forwarding Spam about new apps, products or services to your network, if you're sending it chances are half the recipient's network is too.
2) Sending default invites to potential hiring managers or recruiters, “I’d like to invite you to my network" tells me you've just done a high volume blast and no research.
3) Endorsing people you've never worked with. It looks desperate, even though it`s a nice way to be seen by their network and land on their profile page.
4) Badly managed Privacy Settings. They can broadcast too much to your network, a.k.a showing every person you connect to and every edit you make to your profile. If you're job seeking while employed you don't want your colleagues or boss to see a flurry of this kind of activity. Under your Account and Settings field, directly below your photo, you'll see Privacy Controls. That's where you can set yourself up to be a little more discreet.
5) Looking like a lurker - hide your identity in Privacy Controls if your activity requires frequent visits to a particular person or group of people. People get creeped-out when they see you on their page every day...not everyone reacts by sending a note to say “how can I help?"
6) Looking bad - please post a professional looking photograph of yourself, not you and your dog or spouse ( unless you're a vet, animal psychic or work in tandem with your significant other ) . I once saw a guy whose profile was a close up of his face and half of his girlfriend’s hair; I couldn't tell if he was wearing blonde curly extensions or what?
7) Looking Young – come on, don’t post old pictures from 5-10 years ago, if you’ve acquired a significant amount of grey hair, weight or wrinkles, you’ll shock people when you meet them in person.
8) Make sure your recommendations are related to what you do for a living. I blush when I see people I'm researching with recommendations from their brothers, aunts and mothers as testimonials to their great personalities - OUCH!
I'm a freelance recruiter and job search coach based in Toronto, Canada. I have a passion for working with growth companies and sourcing their interim or full-time executives. My 15 years in recruitment encompasses work with technology start-ups as well as companies who are going through transformation and change. I thrive when I'm working with dynamic teams who achieve great things with the ground moving beneth their feet.
Image credit: Nan Palmero
We won't just do social media strategies. Social Hire will work with you to ensure your business gets genuine value from us and that your team gets the most out of the service. Our experienced social media managers are motivated to make a enhancements to your social media marketing and reaching targets in a way that realistically makes a difference to your business goals.
Our digital marketing managers are the wizards that can give you the insight you need to grow your business. Have you had enough of making difficult personnel choices that don't work well for your online marketing?
Our team of managers are a team that assists our partners improve their presence online by producing online marketing services on a regular basis. Our service is transparent and economical, which ensures that you get a great service and results that make a difference when you utilise our services. We arrange many different marketing services for enterprises from small businesses to large corporations to help make the most of of your company's social media marketing.
You might like these blog posts How Has Social Media Influenced HR Technology?, How to Reshape Your Workplace Culture, Jumpstart Your Performance Management, and Top 5 Social Media Automation Tools You Must Know!.