I often meet people who tell me they would love to do something else in their career, but when it comes to taking action, they stop. They don’t allow themselves to explore possibilities because their mind is telling them they can’t have what they want.
Is that you? Chances are you have a dream deep down inside of you. You imagine a life different from the one you live today. A life filled with joy, where you are excited every morning because you love your job and you can’t wait to take on whatever the day has to offer. You love your life and you are living to the fullest.
Okay, so maybe you just want to escape your cubicle, all the pointless meetings and the politics and start doing something that you really care about in a job where you can be who you truly are without having to try to fit into a box or try to be someone you are not. Maybe you just want to feel like what you do matters.
You want to make a difference. And you can. You can create your life by design, not by default. What would that life look like?
The opportunities have never been greater to start your own company and create a career tailor made for you. Only your creativity can limit you to what you could be doing. You don’t need to be a brain surgeon or have an MBA to do this. And, here’s the great thing; you can make a great living doing what you love. You just need to learn the right tools.
Here are six steps to gain more clarity on what you want, so you can take the first step in that direction. But keep in mind. Your ego is going to try to stop you from doing what you want. It’s going to come up with excuses for you so you can stay where you are. Try to silence your inner critical voice while going through these steps to get the most out of them.
1) What does your dream life look like? Think about what you would do in your professional life, your personal life, who you would be spending time with and where you would be. What would you spend your time doing?
2) What are your greatest gifts? Have you been told by people that you are really good at something? What do you love doing more than anything else? What makes you lose track of time and space?
3) What did you enjoy doing as a child? Often, you will see clues of what you are meant to do from what you did naturally as a child, before you started doing things to conform to the world around you.
4) Who makes you jealous or envious? Very likely, if you envy someone, it’s because they have something that you desire to have. Find out who they are and what they have that you want.
5) What are your biggest lessons in life? Chances are your struggles were meant to prepare you for what’s coming next. How can what you have learned benefit other people?
6) Now it’s time to make a commitment to yourself and take the first step in the direction of what you want. What’s going to be your first step? Write it down and take action today. Remember, if not now, when? Don’t wait for the perfect time, it will never come.
So, what do you want to do with the rest of your life? Feel free to let me know. I'd love to hear from you!
Vibeke Schurch is a Business Coach who has helped hundreds of professionals successfully transition careers. Follow Vibeke on @CoachVibeke.
Image Credit: Robert S. Donovan
We won't just do social media management. Social Hire will work with you to ensure your business sees great value from the service and that your team gets the most out of the service. Our social media experts are driven by the desire to make a enhancements to your social media marketing and reaching targets in a way that realistically makes a difference to your business goals.
Our digital marketing managers are the wizards that can give you the insight you need to grow your business. Have you had enough of making complex personnel choices that don't work well for your online marketing?
Our group of specialists are an organisation that helps our clients boost their social media marketing by offering social media management services on a monthly basis.
You might like these blog posts 9 Expert Tips To Tweet Effectively And Making The Most of Twitter’s New Update, Why Face-to-Face Training is Better Than Online, Starting a Business? How to Get the Ball Rolling When Funds Are Limited, and Get Your Marketing Act Together.