Your social network is a powerful asset. Those of you who've followed my job search tips and recruiting advice will not be surprised to hear me say this. You'll have seen me write passionately about how to be effective at social networking, talk about the impact your social network is having on your job search and how you can use your social network to effectively engage with potential employers.
The impact on your career though is much more profound than just the effect it can have when you're next looking to change jobs. It can also help you to grow professionally and to be more effective in your current role. For thoughts on why this is the case, I'm delighted to share with you the following guest post from Heather R. Huhman. Do let us know your observations in the comments section below. Enjoy!
What’s your secret weapon when it comes to your career?
If you’re feeling unsure, there’s certainly one fail-proof way to impact your career for the long-term — develop and maintain a vast network of contacts. While you may have originally been prompted to build your network during your job search, a large pool of professional contacts has more to offer than just connections to job openings.
The benefits to establishing a strong network for your career are seemingly endless. Here are just a few to consider if you’re looking to boost your career with the foundation of a strong network:
1. Guidance. Whether you’re just entering the workforce or you’re a veteran executive, guidance is something you should never be short on. Building and maintaining a network of industry contacts is one simple way to ensure a continued level of guidance throughout your career. It’s up to you to decide how to use your network to gain insight.
The need for guidance throughout your career seems to be highly understated. You may be considering a career change or the potential for a promotion — these circumstances are sometimes more easily solved with careful help from others. While some may choose to develop professional mentor-mentee relationships within their network, others may find a level of guidance from regularly attending industry outings.
2. Opportunities. A vast, well-maintained professional network will likely be ripe with opportunity. While you may not be actively looking to change positions, it’s likely your network will regularly pass along insight into a variety of career opportunities. This means you’re getting the first look at a position before anyone else. (In fact, according to a recent Jobvite study, employees hired through referral are hired 55 percent faster than those who come from a career site.)
Even if you rarely — or never — bite at the opportunity, there may be a time when you are given word about something that completely changes your career perspective. Aside from opportunities in the realm of employment, your network may also offer you a chance to explore volunteer work, hobbies, or even new industry-related trends and techniques.
3. Support. You’re likely to be faced with a variety of trials and tribulations throughout your career journey. A strong support system will help you manage your challenges and celebrations more effectively. Calling on your professional contacts in times of needs might take some getting used to, but always remember it’s a two-way street. Open chains of communication with your network will allow you to provide a mutually beneficial setting for the daily encounters of a successful career.
4. Discovery. Many individuals lacking a professional network risk limiting their experiences in continued learning. Your network is likely to provide you with an outlet for discovery which you might not otherwise have had access to. For some, this means gaining keen business insight through forum conversations on social platforms, while others may learn innovative tips from a chance meeting with an industry contact at a seminar.
5. Growth. Personal and professional growth is crucial to a successful career. Similar to the guidance and support provided by a portion of your network, some of your contacts might also be beneficial in helping your reach new heights within your career, whether it’s pushing you to apply for a position you initially felt was out of your realm or simply inspiring you to work harder on a daily basis.
6. Status. When it comes to your career, sometimes an aspect of power lies within you who know. While simply having the business cards of a thousand individuals within your industry won’t give you status, maintaining strong professional relationships with a handful of them will. Expert status usually comes down to the success of your personal brand, but it’s important to note that the most successful brands are also backed by a significant and influential network of contacts.
7. Resources. A strong network can easily be utilized as a resource center for a variety of your career needs. Consider each of your connections as a one-of-a-kind book of experiences. Your network is likely to be exploding with information with regard to every aspect of career success and challenge.
Let your network be your secret weapon when it comes to your career. It’s never too late to begin building a vast network of beneficial relationships.
In what ways has your network / social network benefited you throughout your career?
Heather R. Huhman is a career expert, experienced hiring manager, and founder & president of Come Recommended, a content marketing and digital PR consultancy for job search and human resources technologies. She is also the instructor of Find Me A Job: How To Score A Job Before Your Friends, author of Lies, Damned Lies & Internships (2011) and #ENTRYLEVELtweet: Taking Your Career from Classroom to Cubicle (2010), and writes career and recruiting advice for numerous outlets.
Image source: apparena
We won't just do social media strategies. Social Hire will work with you to ensure your business gets genuine value from us and that your team gets the most out of the service. Our experienced social media managers are motivated to make a enhancements to your social media marketing and reaching targets in a way that realistically makes a difference to your business goals.
Our digital marketing managers are the wizards that can give you the insight you need to grow your business. Have you had enough of making difficult personnel choices that don't work well for your online marketing?
Is it important to you to increase the digital footprint of your business by utilising digital marketing, but can't work out how to begin?With the professional understanding of our marketing managers working in your business, you can begin to see interaction, brand loyalty and enquiries get better without having to take your team out to spend time on in-depth marketing strategies, or spend money on a internal marketing manager with a view to get results that may not deliver!
Our team of managers are a team that assists our partners improve their digital presence by producing online marketing services on a regular basis. Our service is transparent and economical, which ensures that you get a great service and results that make a difference when you utilise our services. We arrange many different marketing services for enterprises from small businesses to large corporations to help make the most of of your company's digital and social marketing.
You might like these blog posts Someone Important Just Quit-Here’s What To Do, In This Order, Three Qualities of Successful Marketing Team Leaders, 8 Best Practices for Social Video on Facebook, and How does inbound marketing work?.