The use of video interviewing is rapidly growing, particularly for companies with global recruitment needs, as it helps them assess candidates in a consistent way without the logistical headache of trying to arrange face-to-face interviews. However, not all candidates are yet comfortable or confident with this approach.
This guest post from Josh Tolan, CEO of Spark Hire, offers advice on how to convince candidates of the benefits of video interviewing.
Although video interviews can save recruiters and employers time and money, it can be hard to convince the non-technical candidates it’s worth their time.
Growing up with TV as a novelty, some candidates from older generations just aren’t as comfortable using technology for everything, unlike their Gen Y counterparts who grew up alongside the Internet.
Also, not everyone adopts technology at the same rate. No matter what generation you hire from, it’s possible to find those who chose not to be swept into the wave of technology.
Here are some ways to impress and convince non-technical candidates to video interview.
1. Show it’s user-friendly. Video interviewing platforms are accessible online without the hassle of downloading complicated software that will take up hard drive space. Show candidates they can simply click the link you shared and follow it straight to the video interview.
2. Show it’s convenient. Non-technical candidates don’t like to be rushed. They are used to doing things by hand and moving at their own pace.
Thankfully, companies can impose their own deadlines on interview completion. Talk to candidates to get a sense of their schedules and explain you are going to send them interview questions to be completed during their free time. You can extend the deadline for as much time as the candidate needs.
3. Show it’s flexible. One-way video interviews take some of the pressure off candidates who might be intimidated by quick-minded interviewers throwing curveball questions at them in person. Companies can choose to allow the candidates to record a set amount or unlimited amount of responses to the questions so they have plenty of time to form the right answer. Candidates can play the recording back to make sure the answer is the way they’d like it.
4. Show it’s quick. This isn’t your average hour to two-hour long interview. Companies can set a time limit on interview responses from 30 seconds to three minutes. That means, if you only ask 10 questions, with answers limited to one minute each, the entire interview can be completed in a little more than 10 minutes, depending on the number of times the candidate would like to re-record answers.
5. Show it’s mobile. Candidates can even use a video interviewing platform from their phones. They can simply download the mobile app, create a profile, record an introduction video and interview responses, all while away from a computer.
This is convenient for non-technical candidates who don’t own a webcam but do own a smartphone. Considering 55 percent of people aged 45 to 54 own smartphones, the video interviewing app is a convenient way to connect with them.
6. Show the profile is better than a resume and cover letter. Non-technical candidates value traditional interviewing tools like paper resumes and cover letters. Show candidates they can spend a few minutes recording a video introduction instead of spending a few hours trying to craft a cover letter. They can also place all of the information from their resume right on their video interviewing profile, so everything is in one place.
7. Ask creative and traditional questions. A traditionalist expects and prefers to answer the classic interview questions like “Tell me about yourself” and “What are your strengths?” You should ask those to make them more comfortable in the interview process at first, but then get to know them personally by asking more non-traditional questions like, “What is your favorite hobby and why?” to determine if they will fit in with your company culture.
8. Use your profile to share your company culture. Show your company’s “personality” and values through creating your own branded profile on the video interviewing platform.
You can choose your color scheme, upload your logo, and place links to all of your social media right on your profile. You can even customize a welcome video about your company that candidates will see before they begin a one-way video interview. The more candidates can learn about your company on the video platform, the more comfortable they will feel communicating through it.
It’s extremely easy and convenient to connect in a video interview. Tech-savvy interviewers just need to show that to those who aren’t as familiar with this new hiring tool. Once non-technical candidates realize the ease with which they can use a video interviewing platform, they will be thankful to experience a convenience they didn’t even know existed in the hiring process.
What are some other ways you can convince non-technical candidates to video interview?
Josh Tolan is the CEO of Spark Hire, a video interview solution used by more than 2,000 companies across the globe. Learn more about the 10 biggest video interviewing myths and connect with Spark Hire on Facebook and Twitter.
We won't just do social media strategies. Social Hire will work collaboratively with your team to ensure your business gets genuine value from us and that your team gets the most out of the service. Our experienced social media managers are motivated to make a enhancements to your social media marketing and reaching targets in a way that realistically makes a difference to your business goals.
What the Social Hire gang loves is making a difference for our clients, and we don't want to waste your, or our resources on campaigns that aren't right for your organisation, if it doesn't get your organisation the difference you need - we prefer a better approach. When your business utilises social media management, Social Hire get your brand the exposure it needs and offer your business the lift it needs to improve.
Our group of specialists are an organisation that helps our clients boost their social media marketing by offering social media management services on a monthly basis.
You might like these blog posts 7 Tips to Attract Instagram Followers… Fast!, 3 Guidelines for Young Startups Starting out with Social Media Marketing, 5 Free Must-have Chrome Extensions for SMM!, and 5 Smart Ways to Use Content to Boost Your Sales Funnel.